Originally "Violet Bank Cottage" built c. 1798 partly on Little Courthaye for 5th Duke of St. Albans. Early example of "Sidmouth" Cottage style. In 1802 Duke's 3rd son, Admiral Lord Amelius Beauclerk, a distinguished naval commander and Gt. Gt. Grandson of Charles II and Nell Gwyn resided. Attended George III at Weymouth and afterwards close associate of Royal Family for 40 years. Sold 1823 to Commander John Carslake of. Cotmaton (opposite) and renamed "High Bank", 2nd floor and balconies added. For many years thereafter let to genteel families a rent £2.50 pew. inc. Hemphaye Cottage stabling and coach house.
Where is this plaque located?
Carry on down Seafield Road and find Littlecourt on the left a few yards down. The plaque is located on the front of the conservatory entrance.
The next plaque is located at Hylton Surgery.